Thursday, August 13, 2009

I have been eating for the last seven months.

I have. Really. I just haven't been telling you about it. What I've been eating has not been strictly low- or no-carb. Nor has it been particularly interesting. 2009: a year of nearly windless culinary sails, so far (this is a theme). There have been a few choice baking adventures, like the croquembouche assembled for a friend's birthday. That was fun. But mostly I've been throwing together mid-evening pantry dinners. Eggs, many ways. Pasta with anchovies and cauliflower. Mustard pork chops. Arugula and pine nuts. Did I mention eggs?

Anyway. That last post was so uninspiring I figured I should provide a brief (if perhaps equally wanting) update on what's cooking. Summer usually gets the fires burning around here, but not this year: here it is already the middle of August and have I made one fantastic dish with tomatoes, wax beans, basil, peaches, corn or blueberries? Not. A. One. Okay, that's not true: I did make a honey caramel peach pie back in July. It was the most perfect pie crust I've ever made and that's no lie. It made me ridiculously, heart-swellingly happy. (I did, however, skimp on the cornstarch for the filling which made it all kind of a runny affair. That was too bad.)

I hope my kitchen apathy is not here to stay. Help a lady out. Give me a cooking challenge, any challenge. I'll take it. And tell you about it.


Croquembouche. It's supposed to be more like a pyramid or tower. This is a well. But delicious all the same.


Honey caramel peach pie.

2 comments:

Julija Gelazis said...

Wanna make a Supperclub menu for next week?? It's a weekly challenge :-)

Chefty said...

I do! Deadline Sunday?