Monday, January 26, 2009

Egg muffins.

I realize that, as much as I love my Kashi in the morning, it may be a good idea to give this low-carb thing a try. In the spirit of living lighter, I offer you my first foray into low-carb/no-carb cooking: the egg muffin.

These look like muffins (not oh-so-pretty, so that's why no picture) but they're all egg. I just gave one a quick taste-test and they're not bad at all. Eggy. Mushroomy. You know, like an omelet! Better than no breakfast at all.

You could mix up the vegetable quotient in any fathomable way, I just happened to have mushrooms on hand. E-Z P-Z. Let's just hope I don't get sick of them too quickly!

Egg Muffins
makes 6 jumbo or 12 standard

2 cups of mixed fresh mushrooms, diced fine (I just dumped them in the mini-chopper)
1 shallot, minced
1 small clove garlic, minced
1-2 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp fresh thyme
1/2 cup low-fat shredded cheddar
1 dozen eggs, egg whites, or combination thereof (I used whole eggs), beaten
butter or cooking spray for greasing muffin tin
salt & pepper

*Preheat oven to 375.

1. Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium heat, add shallot and garlic and a shake of salt, saute until softened and translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms and thyme and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat until soft and fragrant, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Beat eggs until they begin to look frothy.
4. Portion mushroom mixture among muffin tins, sprinkle with a bit cheese, and pour egg batter over the filling until it reaches about 3/4 up the side of the muffin cup.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes until puffy and golden (might be even shorter than this if you're using a standard 12-cup tin--just keep an eye out after about 15 minutes).
6. Cool on a rack, then store in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for up to a month.
7. To reheat: I'm going to guess pop in the microwave for about a minute. (Will advise tomorrow if it takes longer!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, that is clever and awesome and I am so going to try that!

You are brilliant.

Julija Gelazis said...

Like a crustless quiche... good idea!

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely going to try that tomorrow AM.