Sunday, November 23, 2008

Neiman Marcus cookies.

There's nothing like Thanksgiving to put an end to blog hibernation. Last week I pulled my November issues of Saveur and Gourmet from their stacks and started flipping through looking for inspiration. Along the way I came across an article about Neiman Marcus cookies and their fabled high price tag. You remember getting those email chains, don't you? About the department store's cookie recipe that cost one unwitting customer $250? Of course it's not true, and in fact is just one example in recent memory of a certain brand of recipe lore that's been going around since the 1940s. I do love little sidebars like this. I also happen to love chocolate chip cookies and these sounded like a good spin on the Toll House variety. I made a few changes of my own but nothing revolutionary--I've noted these below in case you want to play by the book.

What surprised me the most about these cookies how light they are. When I picked one up I thought it must be nearly as light as a meringue. There's so much grain in them (equal parts flour and oatmeal) that I thought they'd be a lot heavier. That said, I had two small cookies and felt rather full (there's that oatmeal!), so be careful: you're eyes will be bigger than your stomach. They're crispy on the outside but they have a nice chewy bite. Just the way I like 'em!



Neiman Marcus Cookies (makes 4 1/2 dozen)

1 c unsalted butter, softened
1 c sugar (I used 2/3 c)
1 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 c all purpose flour
2 c Quaker oats, ground fine in the food processor
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon (my addition)
1/2 tsp espresso powder (my addition)
2 c semisweet chocolate chips
4 oz Hershey chocolate, grated (I used 4 oz bittersweet chocolate ground fine in the food processor)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (I ground mine instead, since I was already doing so much grinding)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1. Cream butter with sugars until smooth, about 3-4 minutes in the mixer
2. Add vanilla and 1/2 tsp of salt.
3. Add eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated. Then scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat batter until the eggs are well mixed and the mixture begins to look fluffy.
4. Blend flour, oatmeal, soda, powder, remaining salt, and seasonings with a fork in a separate bowl, then add to the batter gradually, mixing on the lowest speed until incorporated.
5. Stir in chocolate chips, grated chocolate, and walnuts by hand.

Chill dough while your oven preheats to 375 degrees.

When the oven's ready, pull out your dough and using a teaspoon to measure, form dough into small balls, about an inch or so big. Make them as big as you want, just make them all roughly the same size, and if you decide to make them bigger, you'll just need to leave them in a bit longer.

Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes until nicely domed and slightly golden brown.

Remove to a rack, cool, and enjoy with a glass of cold milk or a mug of tea. Mmm!

1 comment:

cooky-monster said...

I vaguely remember these, but not how they taste,unfortunately.... Cookie!