Monday, September 08, 2008

Everyone's favorite Parisian pistachio and chorizo cake




Warm and sliced open. So pretty! This is probably a good party conversation piece.


Baking chemistry pleases me in a way I can't really describe. I love nooks, crannies, flaky layers. Leavening, it's cool.

This is definitely one for the recipe box, all credit due to two favorite Parisians.

A vegetarian version might be good with olives instead of chorizo and maybe some parmesan cheese. The cake delicious just by itself, but I also bet it would be nice sliced thin with a bit of goat cheese, or toasted with some olive oil, tapenade, or butter.

Oh, and I did not end up having any eggs or salad with this. Instead I munched on some more string beans with pesto while the cake was in the oven. And because I know how scintillating this is-- how suspenseful, even!--let me tell you: these particular beans, which were purchased from the same stall that gave me last week's amazing beans, were not nearly as good as that first batch or as tender and sweet as the ones I had last night.

Change really is the only thing you can count on.

Update: people at work *hated* this, in fact someone spit it out! But my supperclub friends seemed to really like it so... who knows?

1 comment:

Schiavoser said...

"And because I know how scintillating this is-- how suspenseful, even!--let me tell you:"

That is some fancy-pants punctuation right there, my friend. Nice work!