Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Paw laow.

In thai that means, "that's enough". I'm on my third week in lovely, crazy, foodilicious Thailand, and I cannot tell you how many times I've uttered the phrase "paw laow!" - usually when it comes to eating. The food is really good. There's lots of it. And it's very inexpensive.

I've garnered much inspiration for various posts here, but I just wanted to check in as a reminder that I do still exist... with atleast 3 more kilos of me to love. Let me know if you have any burning questions about Thai food. I'm here for 4 more days!

Beautiful, bountiful dessert items at an outdoor market. The little, glossy fruit-shaped loohk choop shown here are kind of like marzipan but they actually taste good.

5 comments:

Chefty said...

Wow! Misses you much, lady. I am excited to hear more about all your adventures. Marzipan=nom nom nom.

cooky-monster said...

To add further detail to the little loohk choop, they are made of mashed mung beans with sugar, dipped in colored gelatin to make them look like whatever fruit they're supposed to look like, and then dipped in glossy gelatin to make them prettier.

Chefty said...

Did you get to see this process in action? I like those little green ones in the back, they look like pea pods!

cooky-monster said...

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the process first-hand. This brings up something peculiar. I inquired about learning to make Thai desserts from my people in the know about such things, and they were firm about not teaching me how to cook a lot of desserts, which is uncharacteristic Thai behaviour. The reasons listed included the fact that many desserts don't have written recipes and that you "just have to know" how to make them. That there's a lot of work involved for what you end up with, and that I'd be better off just buying the stuff. Now, of course, I have to try my hand at this mystery hardship. When? Well, I'm not sure really, but definitely sometime after I get settled back into home.

Chefty said...

Well my dear, that is very disappointing, but I have to say I'm not surprised: no proud chef ever wants to give up her secrets. I am entirely in support of any dessert experiments you undertake. Doesn't sound that hard after all! Seeking out the right ingredients may be the hardest part.