Monday, October 29, 2007

Autumn Hellfire Pumpkin Curry

Savvy cooks and environmentalists aren't the only ones enjoying the full flavors and nutritional benefits of seasonal cooking. Even Satan is in on the joys of stirring up a cauldron full of fresh-picked garden delights with this yummy mouthful of eternally burning damnation.


At its core, Autumn Hellfire Curry is a Thai red curry featuring pumpkin. I substituted habanero chili for the usual Thai bird chilies, for the most part because habaneroes were still available at the farmer's market, but also I like to think that they compliment the pumpkin better somehow. Maybe?

2 T thai red curry paste
1 can light coconut milk
1 small pumpkin, peeled and cubed into 1" squares
Sprinkle of cinnamon sugar
3 chicken breasts, sliced
6 peppers of the season, sliced, (I used a mix of green and red jalapeno and Ukrainian heirlooms)
1 habanero chili
5 stalks of thai purple basil, including buds
2 tomatoes, cut in eighths
Fish sauce (nam pla)

Preheat oven to 450. Cut up pumpkin until you can't stand it anymore. Ideally you can peel and dice the whole raw pumpkin and cook it in the curry, but that was too hard for me, so I roasted it to soften the thing. I managed to slice it up into 1/6 sections. If you need to par-roast like me, toss in a little canola oil and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and salt. I'm not certain this added that much flavor, but I like to think maybe it did. I cooked it just to the point of softening. My only purpose was to get it to the point where I could cut and peel the gourd without severing a finger… ghoulish indeed.

Heat half the can of coconut milk on medium-high and sauté curry paste until dissolved. Add chicken and cook at least halfway through. Add the rest of the coconut milk and, say, a half can of water. Stock would do nicely too. Bring to a low boil.

Add pumpkin, peppers, habanero, and half of the purple basil. Depending on your spicy tolerance, you can hollow out the peppers before adding. Add tomatoes last. Add about 2 teaspoons of sea salt. Simmer the curry until pumpkin has cooked through. Taste the curry and add fish sauce (for salty) and additional purple basil as desired.

On a crisp fall night, this dish warms the soul, and palate, like tasty bites of fire and brimstone. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Chefty said...

Cooky, you scare me with your pepper talk! I'll see you in hell. Mwah-ha-ha...

cooky-monster said...

Looking forward to our next meeting, CL!

I'm gonna walk around, gonna walk around, gonna walk around and drink....

Chefty said...

Did I also mention, gorgeous photo? Gorgeous photo.

You gotta dance with who you came to the dance with.

Anonymous said...

Too hot for Dad.